USA Today, Contract Photojournalist
McClean, Virginia :: 2019 - Present
Domestic and international assignments.
Contact Press Images, Contributing Photojournalist
New York, New York :: August 2020 – Present
Provide projects for distribution to magazine and newspapers worldwide.
Morning Sentinel, Kennebec Journal, MaineToday Media, Staff Photojournalist Waterville, Maine :: August 2010 - Present
Photograph a variety of news and sports assignments in three counties on a daily basis for MaineToday Media, the state’s largest chain of news organizations. Generate and produce self-assigned stand-alone features and essays. Identify, report on and write in-depth projects published across the organization’s multiple platforms. Shoot and edit video packages for long-term projects.
● Rural Covid Soldiers – EMS pandemic response in rural Maine.
● Paramedic Pilot Project – A new program extends the skills of paramedics to execute directives from doctors via telehealth in areas that have no clinics or hospitals.
Pulitzer Center on Crisis Reporting, Grantee - Orphans of War
Moldova and Ukraine :: March - April 2022
Photographed and documented the impact of war on people and the flow of Internally Displaced People to refugee status.
● From the Frontlines of the Ukraine Invasion, a Mad Dash to Rescue Refugees - USA Today 2022
● ‘Who Else Will Do This?’: Inside One Convoy’s Frantic Trek to Rescue Refugees in Ukraine - USA Today March 30, 2022
Pulitzer Center on Crisis Reporting, Grantee – A Deadly Shade of Green
Maine, Labrador and Newfoundland :: November – December 2020
In-depth project on the environmental and cultural impacts of megadam energy produced in First Nation lands in Canada and the thirst for this power in the United States.
● A Deadly Shade of Green − Pulitzer Center on Crisis Reporting project overview.
Pulitzer Center on Crisis Reporting, Grantee – Beyond Ebola
Sierra Leone :: December 2014 – April 2015
Several trips to West Africa for coverage of topics including how Sierra Leone’s medical community handled the world’s highest infant and maternal mortality rates in the Ebola epidemic and rural health care initiatives. Projects were published in print and digital formats in Foreign Policy and USA Today.
● Sierra Leone: Where Corruption Kills − Pulitzer Center project overview
● Ebola Is Now Killing People Who Aren’t Even Infected − Foreign Policy
Colorado and New England :: August 2009 - present
Coverage of daily news and long-term stories for editorial clients, educational institutions, and nonprofits including The Weather Channel, USA Today, Colby College, the American Red Cross and Paradox Sports. Planned and executed self-funded trip to Sierra Leone with writer/filmmaker Greg Campbell, author of Blood Diamond.
● The Rock-Mining Children of Sierra Leone Have Not Found Peace − The Atlantic
● The Lobster Prince − Part of the United States of Climate Change series for The Weather Channel.
Fort Collins Coloradoan, Staff Photojournalist
Fort Collins, Colorado :: August 2007 - August 2009
Photograph a variety of news and sports assignments in northern Colorado for daily publication in print and digital editions. Frequently produced original content for the parent company, USA Today Network. Initiated projects on end-of-life issues such as hospice care, living with ALS and poverty. Shot and edited video packages for daily and long-term projects.
● The Long Goodbye − Family members are aided in processing their grief by sharing the caregiving responsibilities for their dying father.
Photographer of the Year, 2nd Place Best of Photojournalism (Small market) 2020
Finalist POYi, Recreational Sport picture 2021
Honorable Mention POYi, Recreational Sport picture 2019
Photographer of the Year, New England Region, National Press Photographers
Association, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021
Best in Show: Maine Press Association 2020, 2021
Best video: Bomb Cyclone: Maine Press Association, 2018
Outstanding feature: The Lobster Prince, Society for Environmental Journalists, 2018
Honorable Mention: United States of Climate Change, Feature - Medium Division,
Society for Advancing Business Editing and Writing, 2017
Awarded over 60 individual awards in 10 years from the Maine Press Association.
Metropolitan State University of Denver, Photojournalism, Denver, Colorado
Sterling College, Craftsbury Common, Vermont
Bachelor of Arts, Outdoor Education and Leadership,
Concentration in experiential curriculum design for at-risk youth.